Our guild has been a writer mainstay in the greater Englewood community for 32 years.
SWG was founded in 1990 with six members and four basic principles, which are just as valid today as they were then:
1. To bring together, in a professional setting, persons interested in the art of writing.
2. To exchange ideas.
3. To provide a support system
4. To provide critiques and educational opportunities.
We are a nonprofit organization supported by our members’ dues, gifts of volunteer time and bequests, and our volunteer Board of Directors.
We offer our members:
Four types of monthly meetings:
The Guild’s General Meetings are short business meetings, followed by a program with a guest speaker. In addition, we offer three monthly meetings: Poetry Pod, Long Writers, and a Readers Workshop. Please check out our Meetings tab for details.
Guild Writing Opportunities:
We offer several opportunities for our members to showcase their talents within our Guild:
* Inklings Anthology: Publish your work in our anthology, a compilation of our members’ poems and prose, which is sold on Amazon. Our next anthology is underway, and will be published in 2023. A link to our last edition is posted under the Our Authors tab.
* PenPoints newsletter: Share a poem or a piece of prose with your fellow writers. Our monthly newsletter is distributed to our members and showcases members’ works as well as business updates, notices of upcoming programs, and tips and links on how to improve your writing skills.
* SWG Facebook: Members are encouraged to post announcements of their new publications, awards, or any other writing news on our SWG Facebook page to share with the public.
* SWG Website: Our website has a direct link from the Florida Writers Association. Members are invited to promote their published books on our website and link to their blogs and/or author websites. Please check out the “Our Author’ tab.
* The Little Band of Writers: Formed in 2007, the group combines musical talent with writing talent. Members write their own lyrics and the group has performed at r estaurants, nursing homes and other venues. Although not currently performing in public, they still do jam sessions for our annual luncheons.
All members, along with their partners and friends, are cordially invited to informal get-togethers at different restaurants around the Englewood / Venice area every third Thursday of the month. Always a great time marked with plenty of good food and laughter.
In addition to our internal opportunities, our Suncoast Writers Guild continually seeks out opportunities to learn, grow and give back to our community. Please check out our Community tab for more SWG writer opportunities.